HENERAL LUNA: THE HYPE AND THE SUCCESS

Historical film about the Philippine - American War? No one is interested about that! Surely, the director got some balls to risk it. But it's a bloody success! At least for me. And that's a break from all the typical love stories and films about mistresses (for goodness' sake - another post is coming up about this). So this is a change in our movie industry.

So what's the film?
Heneral Luna is an indie film from Jerrold Tarog which was released last September 9, 2015. It is a Filipino historic biopic film portraying Gen. Antonio Luna during the Philippine - American War.

I saw the trailer and it is interesting enough. But of course, I am slightly disappointed since it will not be released here in Dubai. Well, they showed it once. In the Philippine Consulate!!! Can you imagine that? So okay, the first thing that comes to my mind is to download it through torrent or to watch it online since there are no pirated DVD's here.

Yes, I admit I download movies from torrent. There are times that we want to watch a film but it is not showing in the cinema anymore but it doesn't mean I wasn't supporting the film. Right or right?

Then I saw this picture....

I got mixed opinion about it.

I felt happy and proud. Filipinos never pay attention to history! One controversy from this film's hype is the reason why Apolinario Mabini was seated all throughout the movie. Some are asking and some are making fun of it that it was considered now as a controversy. It's not that teachers didn't mentioned about the case of Apolinario Mabini. It's not because all youth in the Philippines are just a bunch of shit. It's just that Filipinos aren't fond of HISTORY. Let alone the Philippine History! So hearing that the movie was a success and that the Filipinos are still booking their tickets to see the film, was an overwhelming news for me.

At the same time, I was disturbed of the picture itself. The picture says the whole expenses for this film is about Php70 Million. However, Wikipedia and the world wide web says it costs Php200 Million. I am sure that if I were to ask people to do something, I will get the facts straight first right? Because it is misleading. If I am not a fan of this hype, I can say that, if it's just Php70 Million then why are you still grumpy if your team already earned a lot from it? I can say that but I am not. We can't please everybody of what they say, but please, let's tell them the real figure.

And since I am guilty of using torrent, I am disturbed from the last line.
"For once, do this country a favor."
Yes, I can do a favor by not downloading it from torrent. I respect copyrights and all. And I think I understand the effort and expenses of an independent film.

But, I've got one question: What is the deepest why of this film? Is it to earn money alone? Or is it for us to see the message of the film?

I heard this one principle but I forgot who said it and whoever that person might be, I will quote:
"Don't let our goals be mixed up with money issues (lack thereof or targets) because if we do, the goal is not a goal anymore but a mere wishful margin of numbers." - Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

NEW YEAR, NEW ME, NEW GOALS

Happy New Year!  It's the time of the year where everything is fresh and new! Last year might not be one of the best years of my life...