SUPERHUMAN IN KARAMA: CHINESE & FILIPINO

First of all, my intention of this post is not to bring down any nationality working here in Karama. However, I just feel the urge to uplift these hardworking people which I believe is needed to be heard by others. I just wanna let you know that these two groups are competing here in Al Attar Shopping Mall when it comes to salons. As of writing, I heard that this building houses 18 salons (for ladies) and 3 salons (for gents) which are as follows:

1) Gupit Pinoy
2) Relax N' Style
3) Royal Star Gents Salon
4) Hair Shine Gents Salon
5) Arabian Dessert 
6) Hollywood
7) Skin Plus & Beauty Salon
8) Athena
9) Athena Gents
10) Reena
11)  Dali Zhang
12) Ciao Bello
13) Judy N' Jacky
14) Hair Shine
15) Beauty Care First
16) Nasmat Jamal
17) Meteor Garden
18) Miracle Touch
19) Belo Plus
20) Hollywood
21) Reflection Beauty Centre

I cannot imagine how a  Four-Storey Building (the size of this building isn't big as Burjuman Center or Al Ghurair Center) can accommodate 18 salons. Can you imagine the competition?

If you can pass by in this building, you will get to experience how they try to market their customers. And that is by giving flyers. So, yes, they are giving out flyers in their own ways. I learned that these people are doing that when they don't have any customers at all. I asked some of them how often they do that in a day and in a week and they told me:

In a day: Maybe 4-7 hours depending on the day
In a week: Maybe 4-6 days a week

Answers varies but that's the average answers and out of the observation of people around. So it means that giving out flyers is more often than doing the job itself in the salon.



These people are working their asses off because the salary that they receive are not enough (I believe). I heard that they can receive some commissions whenever they can invite customers to the salons through giving flyers. Some of the commissions are on percentage basis while some don't get any commissions at all.

The Chinese staff receives twice a month day off and the Filipino staff receives once a week day off.

I am very embarrassed of myself as to how I complain about my work. These people never complain about standing all day long, out in the sun, just to give flyers. I can even see them smiling and goofing around with their colleagues, while I am always on my bitch mode on when I don't have clients.

Knowing these people, it inspires me to work smarter in life with humility at its finest. I got the chance to see them from a closer point of view and in the span of five days, I remember a lot of values that I should never ever forget.

I admire these people for working hard despite of any job that they are doing right now. There's a lot of jobs out there harder than these, and I admire all of you (if you're one of them) for being strong and for doing it just to fulfill your deepest why's.

It's my pleasure to be transferred here in the office and I will never forget this wisdom from them. Kudos to all Temporary Foreign Workers or TFW's, may it be here in Dubai or around the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

NEW YEAR, NEW ME, NEW GOALS

Happy New Year!  It's the time of the year where everything is fresh and new! Last year might not be one of the best years of my life...