EXTRA MILE: A SECRET RECIPE OF SUCCESS

A Syrian guy with an Indonesian wife (I guess) asked for a dummy ticket for CGK - BEY flight. What I know is that we can issue these dummy tickets as long as the original tickets are refundable. So I gathered all the information and their preference for the said tickets.

Before making any booking, I called one of my boss for his go signal about this tickets. He told me that this dummy tickets are risky and that I should not give it. I asked him why and he cannot give me a valid (and logical reason) so I kept asking him of what I should I offer instead. Then he told me, "JUST DON'T. I WILL JUST GIVE YOU SALES TODAY FOR YOU TO STOP."

I was like... woah! EXCUSE ME?! I told him straight away that that was so rude of him. It's totally inappropriate. The boss told me then why do I kept asking if he already said so. I told him that I was just fishing out for options of how can I help this guy. And right away I told him I don't need any information from him any more, thanked him and cut the line.

I just explained to the Syrian guy that we can't issue the tickets on that cities. But I feel so bad because I know we can. In return, I just gave him a booking reservation for free which he truly appreciates it. For him, I was so kind. For me, I am disappointed that I can't go beyond my boss' orders.

(c) myservicefirst.com
What is Customer Service? Why do people cut it back even if they know they can do it?

I've been in a customer service-oriented industry since I was 16. Been in fast food chains, theme park, call center - directory assistance, hotel, and now in the travel industry. Customer service is meeting clients' expectations. Giving them what they need. As easy as that.

However, there's a thing called 'Extra Mile'. I have learned this from my training when I was in McDonald's. It was a great strategy. People will be happy of your customer service but people will love you from your extra mile. People will never forget what you did for them. It keeps the business rolling. If employees must always remember that, I think superiors and bosses must embrace it. Because if not, there's no point of being in a Customer Service Industry.


At the end of the day, I am disappointed because what I learned throughout the years was just a failure because of a boss' orders. An underdog employee like me? What can I do anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

NEW YEAR, NEW ME, NEW GOALS

Happy New Year!  It's the time of the year where everything is fresh and new! Last year might not be one of the best years of my life...